Visit the Murray Park Church of Christ web site by clicking Here!

Friday, April 23, 2010

We all remember the thrill of those first moments, waiting in anticipation. The day you got up the courage to make the call. It was nerve-racking. What would she say? Finally the response came as you waited with breath held tight.


Mr. Wiist? You have been approved for a $1,500 credit limit.

I loved that card and all of the possibilities it offered. I remember walking through the electronics store, thinking I could buy just about any computer I wanted.

Those were the good times. I remember when I turned platinum. A proud moment in our relationship. My limit was high enough to buy a new car. Good times. We were in love and inseparable.

Then the rocky point of our relationship hit. The limit had been raised, and I met that limit. $18,000 of credit card debt. But what was this? Hundreds of dollars owed in monthly minimum balances? It was safe to say that things weren't the same between us anymore. I just didn't feel the love, the freedom, the bliss. We were drifting apart. We didn't have the same interests any longer. I still wanted to travel and buy electronics but my platinum card just wanted me for my money. Is that all I was? A paycheck? An account number?

I had to make a different kind of call this time, the break-up call. It was awkward. “I just don't think this is going to work out” Visa seemed confused. “I'm going to have to break this off! I just don't FEEL the way I used to.” Visa's response: “I'm sorry you feel that way, if you'd like to pay off your balance the total is 18,000. Would you like to take care of this over the phone?”

“Let's not make this any harder than it has to be” I replied. “its over! I just don't feel like I owe you anything any longer. We had some good times, but I think we can agree, things just aren't the way they used to be. Let's both just walk away, make a fresh start.”

It was sad really. The inability for Visa to accept the break-up and move on, I still get letters, I never respond. It's always about money. Visa just can't seem to move past it. Not like I did. I walked away, but this debt, this debt just won't leave me alone!!!!


CAN YOU IMAGINE? I think we all understand that credit cards don't work that way but how many times have we treated PEOPLE like this? Spouses? Friends? Even enemies?


Romans 13:8 “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellow-man has fulfilled the law.” NIV


As Christians we owe a debt of love to our fellow man. That means our spouse. That means our enemies. We have a debt that will NEVER be paid off. Are you ready to pay up?

3 comments:

  1. this was, by far, the best lesson you ever presented, an overlooked truth about the way we should treat EVERYONE in the world, when we feel like we've given everything we've got. . . we are still required to KEEP LOVING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog! I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a good point and it's the way they will recognize us by the way we love one another
    John 13: 34-35.

    ReplyDelete