Visit the Murray Park Church of Christ web site by clicking Here!

Friday, April 30, 2010



I always desired super powers. After watching Star Wars for the very first time I remember going to my room, eyes closed, hand out-stretched, mentally trying to move stuffed animals (which I called stuffed de animals) from one side of the bedroom to the other. It didn't work! I was devastated.
I remember the day I read:
Matthew 17:20 “He replied, Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." NIV
“YES! I can have super powers! Wait until my brothers see this!” I stretched out my hand and thought faithful thoughts but those stuffed animals still didn't move. I didn't understand but I chalked it up to a lack of faith.
How often in the Bible do we see a promise from God that says if you believe in Me, I will give you super powers so that you can glorify yourself? Doesn't God seem to prefer it when we are giving Him the glory?
I really think I misunderstood the verse. I don't think the point is if we have enough faith we can have super powers and glorify ourselves. The point seems to be that our God is a God who can move mountains. The question we have to ask ourselves is, do we believe it? Do you believe God is alive? Do you believe that our God can move mountains? If you do believe this, then understand that you have faith (no matter how small it may be) in a God that can move mountains. The power is not so much in your faith but in the One in whom you have faith.
I choose not to put faith in myself but in a powerful, loving God, Who can move mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment